Monday, April 18, 2011

Submission Lisa

Name: Lisa Fields

Email: lisafieldsbooks(at)gmail(dot)com

Title & Genre: Healing Her Heart- Regency Romance

Pitch: A tender-hearted beauty with a dark past becomes governess for the troubled niece of a cynical Earl.

First 250 words:

England, 1820

Air. I need air.

Abigail clenched her fists, her knuckles pressing against the unforgiving wood of the pine casket. She could not tolerate the consuming darkness any longer. Hurry. Everything hinged on this moment. If her plan did not succeed then she would rather die here, right now.

“Hang on, Abigail. I will get you out of there,” Jane whispered.

The coffin squeaked as Jane managed to crack the lid open. Abigail gulped the cold air. It smelled of late March, a mixture of chimney smoke and budding Hyacinth.

The heavy wood only moved an inch with each thrust of Jane’s body against it. “It’ll just be another minute.”

The vile mixture of laudanum and valerian root stuck to the roof of her mouth. Abigail never thought she would use her own knowledge of elixirs to fake her own death.

“You did it! Just a few more hours and you will be free of that hateful monster.” Jane pulled Abigail to her feet and gave her a thorough once over. “I find it hard to believe that even when you’re dead you are still beautiful.”

Abigail thanked God for having Jane in her life. Jane ran the local orphanage and they’d become fast friends when Abigail was able to treat a virulent type of winter fever that ran rampant amongst the children.

Abigail’s lip quivered. “Did anyone see you?”

“Not a soul.”

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if Hyacinth should be capitalized. Other than that - WOW. The lushness of the writing is so wonderfully fitting for a historial piece like this. I enjoyed EVERYTHING about it. If I could read more, I would. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Michelle. Your words mean a great deal to me.

    Did you post? Which piece is yours? Would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t have any crits for this piece, I really love the sense of adventure and the anticipation of this excerpt. I really wish this contest were open to more words because I’d love to read on! :)

    ReplyDelete