Monday, April 18, 2011

Submission Jenn


Name: Jenn Wood

E-mail: woodfamilyof5(@)yahoo(dot)com

Title/Genre: Mountain Escape (YA Contemporary)

Pitch: Severely scarred Adahlyn will do anything to avoid wearing a bikini, but when her lies ruin her friend, she must bare all for the truth.

First 250:

It was Summer of ’69. That’s what was playing when I lost my virginity. In the back of a pick-up truck. Stoned out of my mind. And I had just turned sixteen. Fortunately, I didn’t get any diseases or pregnant, but I did enjoy the next few months. Immensely. When people say sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll are overrated, they’ve never lived. Too bad I got caught, several times. Too bad my parents set up an intervention to ruin my summer.

That’s how I ended up on a trail, in this God-forsaken valley, climbing six miles and 5,500 hundred feet to my new home and job. Sucks when the ‘rents have family willing to help out the wayward daughter. I wanted juvie, at least there I’d fit in with my black-lined eyes and heavy make-up, piercings, and fresh tattoo. It would also give me a chance to kick my cheating ex-boyfriend’s ass.

Maybe I could wander off the trail and find a nice cabin to spend the summer in. Not like Mom and Dad would know, because they sent me to a place with no phone or Internet. Hell, no electricity for that matter; only the little energy the solar panels put out.

I tripped over a stupid tree root and fell to my knees. Pain sliced through my legs. This hiking thing was hard. It had been almost a year since I did anything physical, except run from the police.

3 comments:

  1. I love this so much. The premise is very fresh for contemp, and the descriptions hit you really hard, and really right. The MC has a distinguishable sass and spunk that draws me in right away through her monologue.

    Good luck Jenn! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great voice! I only have one suggestion.

    Fortunately, I didn’t catch any diseases or get pregnant, but I did enjoy the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her attitude. A snarky MC draws me in. I wanna know more about her. I want to know what she got caught doing and where in the world she was sent to. The pitch about her being scarred makes me wonder what happened.

    Nice work! Great start.

    Hooked!

    ReplyDelete