Sunday, September 18, 2011

S. Kyle Davis post 18

Title: Blackbird
Genre: YA Fantasy Thriller
First: First time Regan admits feelings for Taylor (sort of)
Setup: A bomb exploded and Taylor fell out of a window. She wakes to find Regan and Pyrrhus by her bed.

"What happened?" I repeated, willing someone to explain.

Regan walked over to Pyrrhus. He seemed annoyed by it, like he was conceding something by going around to Pyrrhus’s side of the bed. I was too tired to figure out their crap right now. What mattered was that they were both here. Regan stood next to Pyrrhus. He took a breath, and said, "They don't know for sure, but they think someone from the normal school must have planted a booby trap on my laptop. A prank to get back at the advanced class they couldn’t join. It wasn't a strong enough explosive to be lethal to anyone other than my computer." Regan's anger intensified his over-proper accent, so that each consonant burst from him like a mini-tirade.

"Did I break anything?" I asked.

"That's an understatement," Regan laughed humorlessly. "You basically shattered your leg, broke your arm, and fractured a vertebra."

"Oh, no..." I said, my eyes watering. "Am I... can I... walk?"

"It's ok. You're alright," Pyrrhus said quickly. "The doctors here healed you already. Your bones are mended. You still have a lot of bruising that will have to heal, but the bones and nerves are fine. You'll be fine in a week. You should be able to go back to your room tomorrow."

Relief flooded into me. "You jerks," I said with a pitiful attempt at force. "You empty-headed morons," I added, smiling as the insult from the game earlier came easily to my lips.

"What?" Regan asked. The two of them exchanged a look, probably worrying about brain damage.

"Don’t lead me on like that... Make me... worry." I felt the sleep threatening to engulf me again, and though every other part of my body wanted to slip into it, my head wanted to stay here with Regan and Pyrrhus.

"Oh, we’re the jerk for making you worry?" Regan asked in mock incredulity.

"Sorry," I mumbled. My weak voice ruined the sarcasm. I was almost asleep now. "I'll try my best... to not fall... out of windows... in the future."

"See that you do," Pyrrhus smiled. He walked up and held my hand, engulfing it in his two huge ones. It was nice and warm, and I felt my cheeks go pink. I’d never held a boy’s hand before. Regan cleared his throat, and Pyrrhus pulled away. My cold hand made me feel empty and alone.

Pyrrhus stepped back, and Regan stepped forward. He reached out and brushed the hair out of my face. My skin felt hot under his cool touch. As he cleared my bangs, he leaned over and kissed my forehead softly. "Get better kid," he whispered, his lips hovering an inch from my forehead. As I fell unconscious, I heard him add, more to himself than me, "Don't scare me again. I don't want to lose you too."

1 comment:

  1. As always, I love your writing. I wish I knew more about Pyrrhus and Regan, because they both seem like hotties in this sample and I don't know which one I want for the girl. Good job of making me like both guys in just a few paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete