Thursday, February 11, 2010

Point of Views

Today, I’m going to talk a little about POV.

It seems first person is very popular writing style. I’m not going to argue, there are lots of 1st person novels I love. The only thing that I am missing is that I am very nosy and I like to know what is happening everywhere at all points of time.

Another favorite is limited third person. This is the style I write in. I shift from one POV to the next, but whoever character’s head I am in, I stay in for the duration of the scene or chapter. This helps with telling of things going on everywhere even when your MC is not there. Also staying inside one person’s head stops any confusion during a shift.

Another favorite of mine is omniscient third person. I think a lot of people prefer not to write in this POV. I happen to love reading books written in this style. I know what is happening everywhere in everyone’s head. The only problem is you have to be careful with shifts. It is important that the shift is smooth as you slip into another character’s head. Otherwise, I think it might lead to confusion on the reader’s part.

So what about you? What style is your favorite read? What style do you write in and why?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a pretty hard sell when it comes to first person - I find it much harder to identify with the characters, and thus harder to get into (and stay in) the story. I much prefer reading 3rd limited or omni...if I know a book is written in first person, I generally won't buy it without some outside force insisting it will be worth it.

    Given that, as you might imagine, I write in 3rd limited. I wouldn't mind trying 3rd omni sometime...

    ReplyDelete