Thursday, November 12, 2009

What I learned

Just a quick blog about finishing my second manuscript. All I really have to say is whew. It was a tough road, but not as tough as the first time.

Why?

Because of all the things that I learned from my first manuscript of do’s and don’ts.

I brushed up on the English language and punctuation during my first manuscript so I didn’t have to as much on my second. Just to let you know though, I really had forgotten a lot from high school.

I learned that writing a manuscript is not like writing a thesis. Yes, one of my beta readers of my first mss said that it reminded him of a college paper. I guess that means it was dry.

I had to learn to actually use contractions. I always wrote more formal.

I learned the writing rules.

I learned that the writing rules are not to be solely followed, but to use my voice to define the life of my mss. There is a time and place for everything. (I learned that from reading, reading, reading)

I learned not to edit my mss so much that I write my voice right out of it. When you do that, you end up with a dry mss that leaves you feeling parched. (Now I am worried about if I edited enough)

I learned there are a lot of different ways to say the same exact thing, and usually--though not always--the shortest way is the best way to go.

I learned what a query letter is, and I learned that they are really hard to write.

I learned to connect with others that have the same interest in writing as me.

I learned to take people’s advice with a spoonful of sugar, and to make wise decisions when choosing which advice to follow and which not to.

I learned to always remember that when people who have a suggestion are writing a particular part the way they would write it. So if you decide to add the suggestion to your mss, then you must write your voice into it.

I learned that after finishing my first mss, I still love writing and have already started my third. A girl with telepathic abilities, taking place a little bit in the future with a somewhat different reality than our reality now.

No comments:

Post a Comment